Friday 18 May 2012

The walls look pixilated, the ground is clearly texture tiles.

There is one advantage to video games these days -- there are some great visuals.

The latest installation of Diablo is a good example. Foggy battlefields, and the subterranean levels of the church have a nice gothic feel, without it actually being a gothic game. It's given me a lot of food for thought. Hand-outs and still-shots can be used to great effect, but what else can I di to increase the sense of immersion with

In my current Pathfinder game the Kingmakers face about half their threats via verbal description, and half on a battle-map delineated by coloured white-board markers. How often have I spent time describing visuals, reinforcing mood and theme?

A team of video game designers at my beck-and-call? Nice if it happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment